It’s no secret that I like to cook. I also like to plan my meals in advance so that when I go to the store I don’t wander around like a fool trying to figure out what I need. In order to plan my meals and not eat chicken every night of the week, I like to look at blogs or allrecipes.com. One of my favorite blogs for recipes is I’m an Organizing Junkie. She does Menu Plan Monday every week and it always has some great new ideas.
So, this week I was looking around for some new things to make and I came across Pizza Soup. I’d like to say I came up with this by myself but, unfortunately I stole it from Stephanie at A Year of Slow Cooking. Stephanie has some awesome recipes for your slow cooker or as I like to call it crock pot.
I did change a few things so, I’ll give you my recipe here.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms (I actually forgot these)
- 1 cup pepperoni slices cut into quarters, I used turkey pepperoni
- 1 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- 3 jars of water
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 1 Tbs basil
- garlic however much you like!
- 1 cup penne pasta (I used 2 and it soaked up too much soup) I also used whole wheat pasta
- Shredded mozzarella, to add later
Wash and cut up veggies and put them in the pot. Add the pepperoni and pizza sauce. Then add 3 jars of water. Stir and then add spices. Cook on low for 6-9 hours. I cooked on low for 6. This is really to let all of the flavors mesh together.
30 minutes before you’re ready to eat add the pasta and cook on high for 30 minutes.
Serve with mozzarella cheese on top. Yumm!
This would be great with bread or a salad.