Oh Thanksgiving how I love you and hate you all at the same time…
This year I hosted Thanksgiving at my house, again. I love Thanksgiving. There is no better time for a family get together with tons of food, booze, and of course pie. Oh, the pie.
I also love cooking.
But, what I have decided I love more…delegating the cooking! This year, because we were going to be having so many people, I spread the cooking out to the in-towners. The out-of-towners just had to show up while I cooked the rest. Had I figured this out five years ago, life would have been so much simpler.
So, this year the menu went as follows…
- Stuffing, pumpkin pie, bottle of wine – Mommy group friend
- Green bean casserole – Brother and sister-in-law
- Whipped mashed potatoes, crescent rolls – Mommy group friend
- Broccoli cheese rice casserole – me
- Sweet potato apple stuff – me
- Cream corn – me
- Cranberries – me
- 2 pumpkin pies and a cherry pie – me
- Turkey – me with help from mother-in-law
- 2 Chocolate pudding pie – soon to be sister-in-law
- “Green Stuff” pistachio pudding – brother-in-law
- Gravy – Mother-in-law
So, did anyone notice there were 6 pies plus a pudding?? Yumm!
Anyway, like my mother, I try to make one new thing every year to try out. If it’s a hit, we add it to the menu for the next year if not, I scrap it. This year I added home made cranberries, although I am still a fan of the jellied, still looking like the can cranberries. I also added cream corn.
This years winners…
Jennifer’s stuffing, oh my gosh, so good! Cranberries, and after 5 years the sweet potato apple stuff finally came out right!
Epic fail…cream corn…blah. This was disgusting! I made it because my husband loves it but, let’s just say all of my leftovers are gone and I still have a full bowl of this corn.
So, as I finish what is probably my 15th piece of pie in the past two days, I would like to end with the things that I am thankful for…elastic band pajama pants, my son and husband, the rest of my family, my awesome friends, the ability to be a stay-at-home-mom, and that TCU had an undefeated season…GO FROGS!!